MOT Centre Crystal Palace
Are you based in South East London and looking for a reliable MOT Centre near me? At We Fix Any Car’s MOT Centre Crystal Palace, we have you covered.
If your vehicle is more than three years old you will have to get it MOT tested every year to show that it meets the minimum road safety and environmental standards.
There are different rules if you use the vehicle as a commercial taxi.
An MOT certificate confirms that at the time of the test your vehicle met, as far as can be reasonably determined without dismantling, the minimum acceptable environmental and road safety standards required by law. No need to look anywhere else as we are the MOT Centre Crystal Palace for you!
- they’re free from excessive corrosion or damage in specific areas
- there are no sharp edges likely to cause injury
- inappropriate repairs or modification
The MOT tester will also check that:
- the 13 pin electrical socket is working correctly
- the speedometer is in good working order
- the engine mountings are secure
- there are no leaks
- the pipes and hoses are secure and in a good condition
- the fuel cap fastens and seals securely
You should make sure that the key is available as the fuel cap will need to be opened.
The MOT tester will refuse to test your vehicle if they think that the smoke test may damage your engine.
You should tell them at the start of the MOT if you think this may happen.
To reduce the possibility of damage and increase the chances of passing, you should:
- keep your vehicle maintained at all times
- have the camshaft drive belt replaced at the recommended intervals
- go for the MOT with a fully warmed up engine – it will produce less smoke and is safer to test
- not tamper with the governor settings
- it’s secure and complete
- a catalyst isn’t missing where one was fitted as standard
- it’s without serious leaks and not too noisy
- the driver’s seat can be adjusted
- all seats are securely fitted and that seat backs can be fixed in the upright position
- the mandatory seatbelts are in place
- they are suitable for the vehicle
- they are in a good condition
- they work properly
- they are attached securely
The malfunction indicator lamps (MILs) or dashboard warning lights will be checked for the:
- air bags
- seatbelt pretensioners (which remove the slack from a seatbelt in the event of a collision)
- seatbelt load limiters (which release a small amount of belt when it’s too tight)
- the latch is secure in the closed position
- the front doors open from inside and outside the vehicle
- the rear doors open from outside the vehicle
- hinges and catches are secure and in a good condition
- their condition, including inappropriate repairs or modifications
- their operation and performance (the efficiency test) – the wheels and trims aren’t removed as part of the test
- the anti-lock braking system (ABS) and electronic stability control (ESC) (where fitted)
The MILs or dashboard warning lights will also be checked for the ABS, ESC, electronic park brake and brake fluid warning lights.
- tyre size and type
- tread depth
Spare wheels and tyres are not inspected.
Vehicles first used on or after 1 January 2012 will be checked to make sure the tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS) MIL is working.
- secure attachment
- characters correctly formed and spaced
- their condition
- operation, including high intensity discharge (HID) and light emitting diode (LED)
- the headlamps for cleaning, self levelling and security
- headlamp aim
- main beam warning light working
- the driver’s view of the road
- that it works properly
- it’s suitable for the vehicle
- their condition
- steering oil level
- they work correctly
- for inappropriate repairs or modification including corrosion to power steering pipes or hoses
- that the steering lock mechanism works properly
The MILs or dashboard warning lights will also be checked for the electronic power steering and steering lock.
What our MOT Centre Crystal Palace will cover in the test?
The MOT test lasts for about 45 minutes.
During the MOT test, our MOT Centre Crystal Palace will check the suspension and brakes are in good working order, and the bodywork of the car will also be examined for signs of corrosion or other serious damage. The petrol cap will be checked to ensure it fits properly and that there are no leaks.
In addition, our MOT centre Crystal Palace will check your vehicle’s tyres are the correct size and tread – the spare tyre is not included in the test. Your car’s lights, mirrors and doors must all be in good working order and seats and seat-belts will also be scrutinised for safety reasons.
Your car’s registration plates will also be examined to ensure they are visible and secure and the exhaust must not be noisy or be falling off. The vehicle will also need to meet the requirements for exhaust emissions, depending on its age and fuel type.
Our MOT centre Crystal Palace will check your car’s windscreen for chips and scratches and that the wipers are working correctly.
It’s a comprehensive MOT test, but it became more rigorous at the start of 2012 when a number of changes took effect. These changes were added to reflect the complexity of modern cars’ electronics. As a result, the ‘pass’ criteria now includes checking the warning lights are working properly for the main beam headlights, power steering, brake fluid, tyre-pressure monitor, seat belt pre-tensioner, electronic parking brake and electronic stability control.
The speedometer must also operate fully and, if any of the lights have been modified to change their colour, your car will fail its MOT test.
The changes also mean that if your vehicle’s battery is not secure or it has a leaking electrolyte, it won’t pass its MOT. Your car’s steering will also be closely examined, checking for absent or dysfunctional steering locks.
In addition, our MOT Centre Crystal Palace will check the seats carefully to ensure they move forwards and backwards and can be secured in two or three positions. Doors must easily open and close, tow bars must be free from inappropriate modifications and airbags must function correctly.